NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Division Administrator.
In this role, the successful candidate will provide leadership support and overall administrative direction for the Academic Clinical Department which includes the management of non-physician staff. In conjunction with the Chair and leadership of the Medical School and Hospital, the successful candidate will develop and implement strategic goals related to management of the department, program development and related issues. The candidate will also develop and coordinate new programs and oversee their management.
- Understands the importance of diversity and treats others with dignity and respect.
- Respects the privacy of others and maintains confidentiality of all patient, physician, school, and hospital-related information.
- Upholds the professional, institutional and personal code of ethical compliance.
- Adheres to department guidelines concerning sick time, vacation, personal days, other paid/unpaid leaves.
- Works collaboratively and shares necessary tools and resources to accomplish goals in accordance with the Medical Centers mission statement.
- Prepares verbal or written reports periodically to service lines on status of and or changes to department objectives and initiatives.
- Submits long and short term departmental goals to the Chair and School of Medicine and Hospital leadership on a regular basis.
- Schedules and conducts regular meetings with key personnel of Medical School and Hospital Departments to promote the most effective services.
- Organizes and conducts in-service sessions and implements new programs as required.
- Proposes and implements programs to generate additional revenue.
- Plans, develops and recommends new programs for the Department.
- Establishes annual goals based on the goals of the Chair and the overall department and the mission of the institution.
- Oversees all staff development and training programs in the Department. Promotes an environment conducive to shared learning.
- Continuously encourages the raising of the performance of the staff in order to achieve the best possible outcome. Serves as a mentor to the staff in the performance of their duties.
- Approaches the performance review process constructively and conducts it in accordance with Human Resources and departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Brings to the employees attention areas of performance needing improvement as soon as they are recognized with a plan and a time frame for correction, identifies areas for growth as well.
- Implements the Schools disciplinary process in accordance with School of Medicine guidelines.
- Interviews and hires staff based on objective criteria and explains to employee clearly what his/her responsibilities are and the applicable performance standards.
- Manages the entire non-physician staff within the department. Directs and coordinates administrative personnel to assigned tasks and projects.
- Demonstrates management creativity by identifying effective solutions. Makes decisions in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates alertness and adaptability to changing departmental, employee, and institutional conditions and responds appropriately.
- Makes good judgments which are based on gathering and analyzing, factual and objective data and is able to interpret policies/procedures in order to make sound independent decision.
- Readily accepts new responsibilities and assignments.
- Demonstrates independent thinking.
- Demonstrates professional growth by attending in-services, conferences and participating in professional organizations.
- Meets on a regular basis with the Offices of Clinical Trials and Grants Administration in order to address any global issues within the department.
- Oversees compliance with all funding agencies and the IRB by ensuring that information required is maintained and reported on a regular basis. Identifies and analyzes any discrepancies in order to ensure appropriate justifications are provided.
- Oversees the management of funding provided under grants and contracts assigned to the department.
- Provides administrative support to the Tisch Hospital Section Chiefs in the development of clinical research programs. Identifies and helps coordinate appropriate resources needed to address tasks to be performed or data to be gathered.
- Provides oversight and administrative direction for all grant management activity and clinical research compliance within the department.
- Oversees the preparation of capital and all sources of funding including the operating budgets. Develops strategies for cost containment and maximization of revenues.
- Develops strategies to ensure optimization of funding and financial support for professional activities.
- Provides administrative support to the Chair, Attending Physicians and House Staff on developing and monitoring workload and revenue indicators (i.e., discharges, length of stay, denials, outpatient referrals, etc.). Analyzes data and makes recommendations to the Chair.
- Oversees the development of business plans for all programs in the clinical department, including planning, analysis, marketing, and implementation.
- Oversees preparation of all budgets for departmental programs (i.e., school operating, discretionary, affiliation, Tisch funding, endowments, etc.) and Faculty Group Practices. Monitors these budgets regularly and reports on the financial performance of each division throughout year. Prepares variance reports outlining any deviation from the approved budget. Determines changes necessary to address resolution of variances. Prepares FGP analyses consistent with the business plans and/or agreements with the hospital for funding. Ensures that charges have been authorized by each Vice Dean, Vice President or CMO respectively.
- Organizes a communication mechanism for MDs and House Staff on the service such as email or fax.
- Notifies clinical faculty of hospital events (i.e., fall frolic/spring fling, mandatory training, etc.) and encourages attendance.
- Coordinates activity of the Department Appointment and Promotions Committee, and oversees all administrative support for processing recommended faculty appointments and promotions.
- Oversees the administrative support provided to ensure all practicing/admitting physicians providing care to patients at NYUHC are appropriately credentialed. Ensures that all necessary paperwork is initiated and completed and guidelines are followed. Functions as a liaison with individual Attendings, as needed, in order to facilitate compliance.
- In conjunction with the Chair, develops and implements strategic plans for the recruitment of faculty in areas targeted for growth jointly with the hospital. Develops a business plan for review and approval by the Chair and the Hospital and coordinates development of the offer letter. Coordinates with the Hospital regarding resources for recruits, including space and equipment.
- Provides administrative management support to the Chair and leadership faculty in the recruitment of new faculty. Oversees the administrative services provided to all faculty within the department.
- Oversees the negotiation of capital equipment and ensures appropriate level of analysis, projections and financial documentation is provided.
- Serves as Project Manager for all major construction and renovation projects within Department. Ensures Departments interests are honored in any large space reallocation, construction or purchase of capital equipment consistent with the Schools and Hospitals guidelines.
- Assesses department needs against short and long term goals.
- In conjunction with the Chair, oversees the strategic development of space and facilities planning for department.
- Communicates new policies and procedures and regulatory changes impacting the department or division with medical and non-medical staff as indicated. Establishes mechanisms/processes that facilitate compliance and assist in reinforcing hospital and school policy changes and regulatory requirements.
- Oversees preparation of all externally and internally mandated reports.
- Ensures that policy changes are documented thoroughly.
- Develops and processes changes required in order to comply with new or changing regulations. Develops and approves effective complaint procedures.
- Oversees ongoing development and coordination of the Departments QA/QI process, including coordination with Hospital QA committees and compliance with Hospital QI reviews.
- Assures compliance with regulatory mandates of JCAHO, New York State Department of Health, New York City Department of Health and Rules and Regulations and Bylaws of Medical Staff and corporate compliance officer.
- In conjunction with the Chair, oversees the development and implementation of policies and procedures for the Department. Ensures compliance in all areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrates respectfulness, compassion and openness to the ideas, approaches and perspectives of others. Shares information and knowledge with others.
- Communicates information clearly, completely and professionally at all levels, tailors communication to the listener and maintains appropriate confidentiality. Responds in a timely manner.
- Listens actively and keeps lines of communications open. Encourages open communication of opinions among staff in an attempt to identify and resolve problems in the department.
- Cooperates and communicates effectively and harmoniously with supervisor, Chair, faculty, peers, general staff, and other SMO/HSO personnel, patients, their families, and general public in courteous and professional manner.
- Oversees the documentation of clinical rotation of medical students in the hospital in order to ensure appropriate crediting of medical school educational requirements.
- Coordinates and ensures appropriate preparation for ACGME site surveys and compliance with standards.
- Oversees all coordination of administrative activities with the central House Staff Affairs Office and ensures conformance with governance of education.
- Oversees documentation of House Staff scheduling and timekeeping to ensure compliance with NYS regulations, RRC requirements and NYUHC budget allocations. Brings discrepancies to the attention of the Residency Director. Analyzes scheduling of House Staff and addresses issues requiring resolution with the Residency Director. In conjunction with the Residency Director and the Chair, develops and recommends strategies to address compliance issues.
- Oversees the non-medical staff responsible for maintaining the departmental or subspecialty residency program(s). Ensures that the recruitment of residents from the application review through hiring is coordinated and conforms to program, medical school, hospital and ACGME regulations.
- Provides administrative supervision of all aspects of the academic programs within the department.
- Is empathetic and responsive to others.
- To qualify you must have a Bachelor's Degree in Business, Health Administration or related field with a minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership experience in an academic medical center or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Successful candidate must have a thorough understanding of the management of an academic clinical department including the management of a physician group practice.
- Prior experience with professional or facility billing preferred.
- Excellent communication skills are essential to interface effectively with diverse internal and external professional groups and committees.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.