About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Coordinator of Veterans Services will provide leadership to the Office of Veterans Services. The Office of Veterans Services is the first point of contact for students seeking to use Department of Veterans (VA) education benefits and serves as a resource center for veterans and military-connected students. The Coordinator serves as principle advocate and provides leadership in a collaborative process with staff in Student Affairs, The Student Success Center, Office of the University Registrar, Bursar Office, University Scholarships and Financial Aid, Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions and members of the veterans and military support team campus-wide to facilitate students college transition, enrollment, and academic achievement. The Coordinator also serves as the University's liaison with outside agencies and offices, at the state and federal levels, whose work impacts the lives of veterans and all military-connected students.
The position reports to the Assistant Provost for Student Success Initiatives.
- Master's degree in a relevant field or a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field and experience which may equate to an advanced degree.
- Demonstrated success managing detailed, complex, administrative processes
- Demonstrated success in working in collaborative environments
- Experience in an administrative office in higher education or government related environment
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills to effectively communicate with individuals with diverse multicultural backgrounds
- Ability to utilize computer technology to input/access data, maintain records, review and generate reports
- Must be detail-oriented and have strong customer service skills
- Knowledge of post-secondary issues for veterans and/or military-connected students
- Understanding of Federal Financial Aid regulations
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Regular
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 04/04/2017