GRADUATE SCHOOL OF OPERATIONAL AND INFORMATION SCIENCES
The Graduate School of Operational and Information Sciences (GSOIS) at the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) in Monterey, CA is conducting a search for an opening in July 2017 for the Associate Dean of GSOIS. The Associate Dean is an academic administrator in the school and is delegated a portion of the Dean’s responsibilities for programs, personnel, facilities, policy, and administration. Working directly for the Dean, the Associate Dean is responsible for a wide range of complex and sensitive duties in the accomplishment of the educational and research missions of the school.
Duties: As delegated by the Dean, the Associate Dean:
- organizes, manages, budgets, and governs their academic units, programs, and school as required;
- coordinates with sponsors to assure continuing Naval relevance of the school’s programs;
- assures the school or function complies with relevant policies and regulations, including safety, security, human resources, contracting, and fiscal requirements;
- works with the department chairs/directors to plan, conduct, and administer educational programs;
- coordinates delegated school activities across the department and group chairs;
- supports and implements WASC accreditation and standards and, if applicable, the specialty accreditation standards of the school.
- manages all assigned resources, including budgets, manpower, and physical facilities;
- recommends individuals to the Dean for appointment to the faculty;
- recommends individual faculty for promotion, tenure, and merit pay raises;
- develops and administers programs for faculty orientation, development and mentoring;
- develops research plans and encourages the development of research programs;
- provides academic advice, service, or consultation to Naval and Defense activities, and to others as required; and
- performs other duties commonly understood to be Associate Dean duties, as required.
Scope of duties:
- The Associate Dean works independently under the broad direction of the Dean. The Associate Dean leads portions of the academic enterprise at the program, department, school, and campus level, and provides significant external services to Department of the Navy activities, Department of Defense activities, and professional organizations. The Associate Dean provides coordination among chairs/directors, faculty, staff and students in GSOIS and across NPS.
The Naval Postgraduate School is a fully accredited graduate school with students drawn from the Armed Forces and civilian agencies of the United States and other countries. The Graduate School of Operational and Information Sciences (GSOIS) conducts research and offers various education opportunities in operations research, computer science, information systems, network operations and technology, cyber systems and operations, and defense analysis. Additional information about GSOIS can be found at http://www.nps.edu/gsois.
NOTE: IF YOU ARE A VETERAN, you are strongly encouraged to: Identify your Veterans’ Preference on your resume or elsewhere in your application package (type of preference, dates of service, date of VA letter, character of service, etc...)
Additional Veterans’ information: If you are not sure of your preference eligibility, visit the Department of Labor's website: http://www.dol.gov/elaws/vets/vetpref/mservice.htm. For more veterans’ preference information, visit: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Your application package must include your education and professional vitae along with other relevant experiences. Tell us in your cover letter why you are interested in the position, highlight your relevant experiences, and comment on your capabilities, submitted along with your resume. Address your application to Gordon McCormick, Dean, Graduate School of Operational and Information Sciences, and forward your application package to Janet Borchardt, Graduate School of Operational and Information Sciences, Naval Postgraduate School, 1411 Cunningham Road, Room GL-219, Monterey, CA 93943. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org is preferred. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. The search committee will begin reviewing applications on 1 May 2017. The search will continue until the position is filled.
The Naval Postgraduate School is an equal opportunity employer. For additional information about NPS, please refer to the website at http://www.nps.edu.
About Naval Postgraduate School:
The mission of the Naval Postgraduate School is to provide relevant and unique advanced education and research programs to increase the combat effectiveness of commissioned officers of the Naval Service to enhance the security of the United States. In support of the foregoing, and to sustain academic excellence, NPS and the DON foster and encourage a program of relevant and meritorious research which both supports the needs of Navy and Department of Defense while building the intellectual capital of Naval Postgraduate School faculty.
Follow the employer's instructions to apply for this job.