Pratt Public Safety is seeking an Associate Director to join their team to help keep Pratt Institute safe and secure. This position under minimal supervision and with wide latitude for independent judgment will assist the director with the supervision of the daily protective services and activities necessary to ensure a safe and secure campus environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors to the main campus and its Manhattan location. This position serves as second in command within the department.
- Supervise security staff (i.e., enforce departmental rules and regulations governing officers' performance and initiate disciplinary action where appropriate; assist with interviewing and hiring staff; assist tour supervisors with scheduling, supervision and investigatory actions, etc.).
- Issue and enforce directives and work orders to subordinate staff in conjunction with daily operations of the security department, to include changes or exceptions to normal operating procedures.
- Ensure adequate daily tour staffing, to include approving overtime and scheduling changes to cover unscheduled absences. Monitor assignment of overtime.
- Coordinate and supervise security coverage and requirements for special events.
- Review, analyze and recommend the implementation of policies and procedures to improve the quality of services provided by the Public Safety department including parking, key and card access to buildings and rooms, etc.
- Investigate campus security incidents; supervise responses to alarms, and respond to alarms when necessary; and resolve complaints against the department by interacting with students, faculty, and staff to gather and review facts and recommend appropriate action. Prepare appropriate reports.
- Ensure that all incidents and accident reports are properly documented (i.e., review written reports/forms, communicate with subordinates, and complete administrative follow-up as appropriate).
-Attend internal & external meetings and participate on various committee as needed.
- Ensure that proper campus personnel and/or external groups (i.e., Human Resources, Student Affairs, Title IX, NYPD, etc.) are notified when necessary.
- Assess needs for staff development and training; oversee general training activities in areas such as report writing techniques, investigating and documenting incidents, etc; and approve staff attendance at activities designed to improve their protective services knowledge and skills.
- Assist the Director with the time, leave, and scheduling for Tour Supervisors.
- Assist the Director with the monitoring of the access control and CCTV systems.
- Assist the Director with the generation of the annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) in compliance with the Clery Act, as well as any other federal, state and city mandated security reports.
- Serve as liaison to the contract guard service, campus personnel, students and other outside constituencies (i.e., parents, community, etc.).
- Participate in developing and recommending annual budget needs for the department.
- Provide 24/7 on-call coverage of all serious incidents and activities that occur.
- Act on behalf of the Director in his absence.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Education: Associate's Degree in relevant field required (i.e., Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement, Business Administration, Safety Education, Emergency Management, etc.), Bachelor's degree preferred.
Experience: Must have a minimum of seven (7) years' experience (or five (5) years' experience with an Bachelor's Degree) at the level of Associate Director or Lieutenant within police department; college campus, Public Safety, security experience is preferred.
Skills: Must be computer literate and possess excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
Other: Valid New York State driver's license required. Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends and occasional holidays.
Please submit your cover letter and resume. If you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to provide at least 5 References via our on-line reference tool system. At least 2 of your References must be, or have been, your direct managers.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Pratt Institute recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.
Internal Number: 118003530
About Pratt Institute
The mission of Pratt Institute is to educate artists and creative professionals to be responsible contributors to society. Pratt seeks to instill in all graduates aesthetic judgment, professional knowledge, collaborative skills, and technical expertise. With a firm grounding in the liberal arts and sciences, a Pratt education blends theory with creative application in preparing graduates to become leaders in their professions. Pratt enrolls a diverse group of highly talented and dedicated students, challenging them to achieve their full potential.