Working under the direction of, and in close coordination with, the Mayor, Incumbent serves as the Chief Administrative Officer of the City; assumes responsibility for planning, administering, directing , overseeing and evaluating the activities and operations of the City of Findlay departments including Public Safety, Public Works, Zoning, Water Treatment, Water Pollution Control, Engineering and the Airport; provides administration; provides policy guidance to and coordinates the activities of management staff; facilitates the development and implementation of long and short range plans, policies, goals, objectives, and programs to provide the City with technical and administrative direction in meeting and maintaining City services; ensures public services are delivered in an efficient and effective manner; and provides highly complex administrative support to City Council including implementing policy decisions made by City Council.
Supervisory Plans, directs, and coordinates, through department heads, the work plan for City ; assign projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; review and evaluate work methods and procedures; meet with management staff to identify and resolve problems.
essential duties and responsibilities
· Assumes full management responsibility for all City operations; assess ongoing operational needs through department heads and determine best organizational structure to meet goals and objectives; develop, recommend, and administer policies and procedures;
· Coordinates the preparation of the annual operating budget; monitors implementation of the operating budget which includes approving administrative transfers and processing budget amendments;
· Oversees the development and administration of City budget; approve the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; approve expenditure and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary; keep Council advised of financial conditions, program progress, and present and future needs of City;
· Establishes, within City policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; allocate resources accordingly;
· Confers with department heads and managers concerning administrative and operational problems, work plans, and strategic plans; make appropriate decisions or recommendations; oversee the preparation and implementation of long range plans for the City;
· Prepares periodic reports as required by Council and requested by the Mayor; prepare annual reports for City officials and the public;
· Assists Mayor in overseeing the implementation of the City’s Strategic Plan, goals, and objectives to meet eh operational needs of the City;
· Attends all Council meetings and Council Committee meetings as requested;
· Attends all regular meetings of the Planning Commission, Shade Tree Commission and other meetings as required for technical assistance;
· Review departmental disciplinary action, review reports submitted by department heads for completeness. Represent the City during union negotiations;
Licenses and certifications
Valid Ohio Driver’s License
education and/or experience Preferences
· Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration or a related field with a Master’s Degree preferred;
· At least five to seven years of municipal management experience as a Service-Safety Director or equivalent executive position;
· Evidence of continued professional development.
other knowledge, skills and/or abilities Preferences
· Thorough knowledge of best practice leadership and business management. Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration.
· Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration;
· Considerable knowledge of sources of information related to solving issues of local government;
· Ability to write and present clear concise reports, memorandums, directives, speeches and letters;
· Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with officials, department heads, general public, and subordinates;
· Demonstrated ability to lead; identifying and executing appropriate action relative to the situation project, and/or program.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations must be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work will require light lifting up to 20 lbs. Requires walking and standing to a significant degree or requires sitting most of the time but entails pushing and/or pulling of arm or leg controls or pushing and/or pulling of materials even though the weight of those materials is not significant.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work will normally be performed indoors protected from external weather conditions. .
About City of Findlay
The City of Findlay "City" is under statutory rule and is governed under a strong Mayor/City Council system. The City has 300+ employees and is currently the # 1 Micropolitan in the United States and has been for the previous 4 years.
The City: The center of Hancock County, Findlay is located along Interstate 75. It is about 47 miles south of Toledo, 92 miles north of Columbus and 137 miles west of Cleveland. Findlay is considered a Micropolitan community.
History: Findlay derived its name from Colonel James Findlay, Commander of the second regiment in the War of 1812. It was first laid out in 1821 by Joseph Vance and Elnathan Cory. Wilson Vance gave the town of Findlay its name.
Population: 41,202 (based on 2010 US Census data)
BACK TO TOP
NWC Career Center is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else NWC has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at NWC Career Center.
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date on our latest news