From Bridgewater State University’s inception in 1840 by Horace Mann as one of the first normal schools in America to the current day, BSU has worked to ensure that our students receive an accessible, affordable, and exceptional education. BSU aspires to be the leader in our mission class for closing equity gaps for Black/Cape Verdean, Latinx, Native American, Asian, and other students of color. BSU’s institutional values, the work of the President’s Special Task Force on Racial Justice, and leadership of the Leading for Change Higher Education Diversity Consortium underscore the campus’ commitment to racial equity and other forms of social justice. The missions of the Financial Aid office is to assist students and families in navigating the world of Higher Education and the costs associated with obtaining a degree. Successful candidates will be staff members that can work with their colleagues to help meet the mission of the Financial Aid office in serving and supporting our racially and ethnically diverse campus community.
The Office of Financial Aid, at Bridgewater State University, administers and distributes Title IV federal, state, and local student aid funding to over 85% of the BSU student body annually. In addition, the Office of Financial Aid administers and is responsible for Alumni & Endowed Scholarship administration, educational benefits for Military and Veterans, Financial Literacy programing, the Student Federal Work-Study Program, and the Federal Stimulus Student Emergency Funds through the Higher Education Emergency Relief Grant (HEERF).
The Staff Assistant, Financial Aid Advisor will provide student-focused support at a campus that prioritizes the success of our racially and ethnically diverse campus community. The Financial Aid Advisor has the opportunity to provide an understanding of registration, billing and financial aid policies and procedures, as well as the ability to explain policies and procedures to current students, prospective students, and families.
In addition, the Staff Assistant, Financial Aid Advisor will be responsible for ensuring smooth daily operations, effective administration, and clear communications. The Staff Assistant will report directly to the Director of Financial Aid and will assist with audit preparations and DOE compliance visits.
This is a full-time, 12-month APA position and is subject to the terms of that union agreement.
Position Type: APA Professional
1. Provides assistance to students and families with loans, grants, scholarships and the financial aid application process, and reviews applications to assure accurate and complete information.
2. Delivers exemplary customer service to prospective and continuing students and families in planning and coordinating the funding of their education.
3. Maintain a current working knowledge of the financial planning processes of financial aid, assist with billing and payment options and VA Benefits, as well as Residential Life, Admissions, Academic Advising and Registrar processes and how they relate to the students finances in order to fully and accurately advise.
4. Interprets, implements, and maintains up-to-date knowledge of Federal and State guidelines governing financial aid programs.
5. Assist with preparing Institutional, Federal and MA State Audit reporting requirements. Coordinate progress reports and monthly reporting.
6. Utilizing workshops, individual appointments, web tools, email, social media and telephone to disseminate accurate and clear information while counseling, advising and directly supporting students and their families with finance and related processes. Events may include weekends.
7. Collaborate with other offices and departments to provide appropriate resources to students, represent Financial Aid at various programs on and off campus, and serve on college committees as appropriate.
8. Draft and edit correspondences, publication support, including proofreading policies, daily communications, website content management, submitting and promoting events, and managing the financial literacy programing and events. Events may include weekends.
9. Assist the Director and collaborate with other departments in developing strategies that support the goals and objectives of the department, division and university in enrollment, retention, student satisfaction and other related areas.
10. Coordinate the rotation schedule for the administrative staff and engage administrative team to support departmental projects as needed.
11. Process invoices, payments, corporate card reports, reimbursements, and purchase office supplies.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned.
To be successful in the role, you will need:
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Experience in service of racial equity (e.g. mentorship of racially minoritized students; service on committees; advising student organizations that represent racially minoritized groups or social justice causes)
• Commitment to customer service excellence/support to enhance an environment of equity, diversity and inclusion
• Strong presentation, interpersonal, networking, and organizational skills
• Strong organizational, multitasking, and time-management skills
• Attention to detail
• Ability to take initiative
• Ability to contribute in a team environment
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, meet deadlines
• Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines
• Experience and comfortability with using multiple computer systems
Bridgewater State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employee with disabilities. Office activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 5 pounds.
Special Conditions for Eligibility:
Please be aware that employment at Bridgewater State University is contingent upon completion of a successful background check.
Salary Range: $45,000 - $50,000
Posting Number: S00640P
Open Date: 02/22/2021
Close Date: 3/28/2021
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please note the following information is required to complete your application for this position:
*a minimum of one (1) employment history entry.
*a minimum of three (3) professional reference entries.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2164473
Bridgewater State University (BSU) is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer which actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workforce. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people.