Primary Purpose: Teaches and instructs student-athletes how to perform in their sport, including sport-related fundamentals, skills, team concepts, and safety practices.
Essential Functions: 1. Instructs and coaches student-athletes, emphasizing fundamentals, skills development, conditioning, game preparation, strategy, and safety practices.
2. Exercises discretion and judgment in implementing instructional techniques designed to develop student-athlete capacities.
3. Integrates innovative technology into the instruction of student-athletes to facilitate learning and safety.
4. Maintains an environment that emphasizes academics as a priority, making every effort to ensure that all student-athletes meet academic requirements, while working to integrate sports into the academic life of the University.
5. Maintains complete knowledge and compliance of rules and regulations governing intercollegiate athletics while working within the departments rules, regulations and policies.
6. Assists in the preparation of an annual written plan and goals for the program and the annual assessment of performance in relation to the plan and goals.
7. Maintains discipline in the program, promotes fairness, understanding and protectiveness of student-athletes while motivating them.
8. Maintains an environment of cooperation and continuous improvement, maintaining positive communications supporting the athletic program, the University and University staff.
9. Participates in marketing and promotional activities with media, alumni and civic groups consistent with the objectives of the athletic program.
10. Assists with recruiting evaluations, official visits and any travel-related activities of prospective student-athletes.
11. Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
This position serves as Campus Security Authority (CSA) as outlined by the Clery Act. CSAs have federally mandated responsibilities to report crimes that are reported them.
Minimum Qualifications: Education/Experience/Certifications: Bachelors degree. One (1) year experience in coaching sport or in a related role.
Preferred Qualifications: Strong knowledge of effective coaching practices, including the integration of technology into instructional methods. Basic knowledge of NCAA and Conference Rules and Regulations as they pertain to student-athletes. Prior experience in sport sciences. Advanced knowledge of NCAA and Conference Rules and Regulations as they pertain to student-athletes. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated management skills and knowledge of supervision and management practices. Ability to contribute to the recruitment of prospective student-athletes. Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires extended periods of sitting, standing and walking. Occasional climbing stairs, bending, stooping and reaching. Occasional lifting up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel Work is performed in both a standard office environment as well as at sports venues. Work is performed during standard business hours, as well as during non-regular office hours to fulfill business needs. Extensive travel required.
Valid drivers license required. Incumbent must also be able to meet the Universitys fleet rules and be eligible to drive for University business. The University and its insurance carrier reserves the right to exclude applicants based on their driving record.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience, exempt
Background Check Statement: All applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment are required to execute a release and authorization for a background screening.
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Drawing on its rich legacy as the oldest chartered university in California, Pacific is a student-focused, comprehensive educational institution that produces outstanding graduates prepared for personal and professional success. Our student body thrives in Pacific's small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while our distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day.University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented.