Community Health Nurse Supervisor Sub Title: Tuberculosis Control Nurse Supervisor
LOCATION OF POSITION
Howard County Health Department 8930 Stanford Blvd. Columbia, MD 21045
Main Purpose Of Job
The purpose of this position is to supervise and administer Health Department nursing services or programs. This work may be performed at patients’ homes, schools and other community settings to provide community health nursing services to individuals, families and the community. This position also plans, develops, implements and evaluates assigned programs; plans, develops, revises, implements and evaluates policies and procedures; prepares and monitors program budgets, supervises nursing staff and other health care staff; coordinates nursing coverage for programs; provides nursing care to patients. This position works collaboratively with the Director of Nursing, Bureau Directors and Assistant Director of Nursing.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in nursing from an accredited college or university.
Experience: One year of experience as a Community Health Nurse.
1. Candidates may substitute a Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited college or university and one year of experience as a Registered Nurse for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute two years of experience as a Registered Nurse for the required education.
3. Candidates may substitute a Master’s degree in nursing or related field from an accredited college or university for the required education and experience.
4. Candidates may substitute one year of experience in an administrative, supervisory, consultative or teaching capacity as a Registered Nurse for the required experience.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Nursing classification or Nursing or Health Care Specialist specialty codes in the Nursing field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
Experience with the prevention and control of communicable diseases, especially Tuberculosis (TB)
Knowledge/Experience of case management practices
Expertise with performing nursing assessments independently and relaying results to the clinician
Ability to provide strong nursing support to the Tuberculosis clinician
Experience leading, supervising and managing a team
Experience managing budgets
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Candidates for positions in this classification must possess a current license as a registered nurse from the Maryland State Board of Nursing, 4140 Patterson Avenue, Baltimore, Maryland 21215.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Employees in this classification will be required to provide the facility with a telephone number at which they can be reached.
The Health Department is the sole government agency which falls under the umbrella of the Maryland Department of Health (MDH). The Maryland Department of Health is responsible for providing a wide-range of public health services to the Maryland residents and its visitors. The Howard County Health Department is responsible for improving the health of Howard County residents. By State and County authority, the Health Department is charged with enforcement of certain federal, state and county laws and regulations.
In addition to regulatory and enforcement work, the Health Department directly provides public health services. The Howard County Health Department has an active, involved Board of Health that meets monthly and devotes endless hours to improving services to the citizens of Howard County.
The Howard County Health Department employs over 300 staff that work toward the mission and vision of the Department continually striving to improve the services offered to the citizens of the County. The Department reaches a broad sector of the County with services from direct personal health to environmental services.