Lawrence Berkeley National Lab's (LBNL) Engineering Division currently has openings for Mechanical Technicians to join our team.
In this exciting and highly diverse role, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory mechanical technicians perform, or supervise mechanical work involving the design, fabrication, assembly, modification, maintenance, and repair of specialized and or precision scientific instruments and apparatus of great variety.
Mechanical technicians perform or lead work that requires experience and skills in one or more of the following areas: precision mechanical assembly, machining, welding and brazing, sheet metal, and may have specific knowledge in such fields as fabrications, electro-mechanical devices, machining, materials science, optics, cryogenics, vacuum systems, computers, accelerators, and ancillary scientific research apparatus. They develop specific mechanical details with respect to component relationships, sizes, and fits, based on rough sketches, electronic data, or oral information related to the basic design of the apparatus. Success and advancement in this position requires a very good knowledge of fabrication tools and methods, materials, computers, metallurgy, mechanics, and measurement.
Mechanical Engineering Technician (Level 1) Specific Responsibilities:
- Under the guidance of a mentor, candidate will be exposed to a variety of routine technical work including fabrication, assembling, machining, installing, set up, operating, testing, inspecting, maintaining, troubleshooting, or modifying standard apparatus, parts and components, devices, equipment, processes or systems.
- Learn to utilize a wide variety of metallic and non-metallic materials, formulations and processes.
Mechanical Engineering Technician (Level 2) Specific Responsibilities:
- Under limited supervision or independently on special assignments, provide broad and varied technical support at journey level in the field of mechanical technology in one or more areas.
- Perform moderately complex assignments and exercise independent judgment.
- Follow general specifications and plan work methods to achieve desired characteristics or results.
- May prepare and use computer programs and operate associated equipment to accomplish assignments.
- May lead or instruct others in applying technical concepts which require both standard and unique methods.
- Develop, design, fabricate, assemble, machine, install, set up, operate, test, inspect, maintain, troubleshoot, or modify a variety of scientific apparatus, equipment, components, devices, or systems and perform related technical support activities.
Additional Responsibilities as needed:
- Operate calculators, personal computers and computer terminals to access and/or measure and collect results from operating equipment, or information on parts, components, and materials necessary to accomplish assignments.
- Access database information to identify, select and procure parts, components, and materials. Perform complex mathematical calculations.
Mechanical Engineering Technician (Level 1) Qualifications:
- 1-2 years of experience in a mechanical or electro-mechanical background.
- Background and work experience in basic mechanical and/or electromechanical technology or enrolled in a technical program.
- Technical knowledge, skills and work experience in any of the following areas: fabrication, assembling, machining, installation, set up, operating, testing, inspecting, maintaining, troubleshooting, processes control and procedures.
- Some knowledge in the operation of standard hand, power, and or machine tools.
- Ability to operate personal computers.
Mechanical Engineering Technician (Level 2) Qualifications:
- 2-4 years of experience in a mechanical or electro-mechanical background.
- Substantial technical understanding of mechanical or electromechanical theory and work practices, scientific and engineering principles, and technical mathematics.
- Substantial knowledge, skill and work experience in performing general setups, testing, troubleshooting, repair, calibration, operation and maintenance of complex mechanical, electromechanical and scientific apparatuses, equipment and systems, and in assembling, testing and measuring complex mechanical components and equipment using measuring and testing tools, and equipment.
- Knowledge of and ability to select, set up, and utilize appropriate hand, power, and machine tools either manual or CNC controlled.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully accomplish assignments by exercising sound independent judgment under general guidance and limited supervision, and to interpret complex engineering drawings, sketches, and component layout and assembly diagrams.
- General knowledge of mechanical equipment design procedures and techniques.
- Proficient communication skills; ability to interact effectively with a broad range of individuals.
- Demonstrated experience working in a successful technical team, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, and willingness to work in a flexible, changing work environment.
- Ability to operate personal computers, including 2D/3D CAD/CAM software.
- Ability to mentor and train less experienced mechanical technicians.
- AA degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology or equivalent work experience in industry or military training desired.
- Knowledge to interpret elementary engineering drawings, sketches, parts lists, and component layout and assembly diagrams desired.
- Competency in identifying mechanical parts and components including sizes, ratings, tolerances, finishes, materials, and appropriate applications desired.
- This is a full-time, career appointment, non-exempt (hourly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs and the skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- Salary will be determined based on range by collective bargaining agreement.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Mechanical Engineering Technician (Level 1) position is expected to pay $30.15 - $33.20, which fits within the full salary range of $27.11 - $39.29 for the position. Salary for this position will commensurate with the final candidate's qualification and experience, including skills, knowledge, relevant education, certifications, plus also aligned with the internal peer group.
Mechanical Engineering Technician (Level 2) position is expected to pay $36.17 - $39.84, which fits within the full salary range of $32.51 - $47.15 for the position. Salary for this position will commensurate with the final candidate's qualification and experience, including skills, knowledge, relevant education, certifications, plus also aligned with the internal peer group.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof that vaccination requirements have been met or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links: Know your rights, click here for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4.