The Defense Affairs Committee (DAC) sponsored by the Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce (Chamber) seeks a full-time Defense Affairs Program Manager to carry out community engagement, business development, and programming in support of the DAC mission: to foster economic vitality by further strengthening the relationships between the Chamber, the Central Virginia community and the regional defense/intelligence community. The Chamber is a Virginia Values Veterans V3 Certified employer.
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Position Type: Full-time - Contractor
Travel: Some travel required
Salary Range: $75,000-$85,000
Deadline to apply: Open until filled
Role and Responsibilities
The DAC provides services to a unique network of industry, government, and academic participants which position the region for growth in the defense and intelligence market. For local defense industry contractors, local government, and service providers with interest in the defense and intelligence community who desire visibility and access to local federal government agencies, the DAC is a unique conduit for the sharing of information and facilitating networking meetings so that the needs of the federal government, defense sector employers, their employees, and veterans can be met by the local community.
The Defense Affairs Program Manager will:
· Serve as a primary point of contact with the Chamber for defense sector employers (industry and government), active-duty military, National Guard, reservists, and their families within the community.
· Manage and oversee implementation of the approved DAC Strategic Plan and Work Plan goals
· Proactively connect with the existing defense sector to understand needs, propose customized solutions, provide the justification for the proposed solution and seek approval from the appropriate group(s).
· Effectively communicate and establish cooperation with regional local government partners to facilitate a close working relationship between the defense sector, local government staff, and elected officials.
· Support regional and local economic development efforts as requested, consistent with the DAC strategic plan.
· Support the DAC Leadership Council, including coordination and planning for monthly meetings; Support the Committee Chairperson and Subcommittee Chairs (volunteers).
· Facilitate networking meetings between DAC members and other stakeholders in support of DAC goals.
· Lead the planning, coordination and logistics of DAC meetings and events including quarterly programs on defense-related matters offered to Chamber members and guests.
· Attend meetings, conferences, workshops, and establish memberships, serving as a representative of the DAC in these venues and provide updates and feedback to the DAC Leadership Committee.
· Identify and share with the Chamber Public Policy Committee any DAC supported legislative priorities.
· Manage the DAC office, located at North Fork, UVA’s Discovery Park.
· Provide regular communication to Chamber leadership.
· Support the ongoing promotion of the DAC within the Chamber and across the broader community.
· Assist in the creation of print and electronic marketing materials. Ensure updates, as needed, are made on the Chamber website.
· Lead fundraising to ensure the desired annual budget is achieved with support from the DAC Leadership Council as necessary.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
The Defense Affairs Program Manager will report to the President & CEO of the Chamber, with performance goals determined in a matrix structure by the DAC Leadership Council and Chamber Board.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
· Bachelor’s Degree or Higher preferred.
· Residency in Greater Charlottesville area is required.
Minimum of 10 years of experience in one or more of the following:
· Department of Defense (DoD) Military Services
· Intelligence Community (IC) Services
· Working for a DoD/IC Contractor in a role requiring regular interaction with the government customer
· Veterans Services and Support
· Ability to manage multiple priorities and work independently, with limited administrative support
· Defense and intelligences knowledge
· Veterans’ affairs knowledge
· Business development and networking experience
· Presentation skills
· Desktop publishing (Microsoft Office, Adobe)
· Web publishing
· High levels of enthusiasm for the DAC mission
Please send a cover letter and resume to the DAC Search Committee at email@example.com.
About Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce
The Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce advocates, convenes and engages to strengthen business in the greater Charlottesville region. Our simple yet clear vision is a thriving regional economy. The Chamber works to grow and support big ideas that produce meaningful, measurable results for members and nurture a healthy business environment.