Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
About the role
Are you a researcher who enjoys a challenge? Are you excited about working for an FFRDC focused on areas critical to national security? If so, we want you for our team, where you'll be part of an exciting and impactful culture of collaboration that delivers high-quality results.
Who We Are
The CERT Security Operations team seeks to develop cutting edge solutions to address critical and emerging challenges encountered by the United States government and the International Community. The key to our success is a diverse team of analysts, researchers, and engineers with a passion for understanding the implications of emerging technologies and best practices on U.S. Government defensive missions.
What we do
Our team provides technical guidance in the areas of capability and capacity development to Security Operations Centers (SOCs), National Cyber Centers and incident management teams (Computer Security Incident Response). Our partners include Federal agencies, academic institutions, foreign governments, private industry, and non-profit organizations. We develop and implement strategic and operational procedures for the cybersecurity community and regularly interact with sponsors and partners.
Our team participates in and leads technical efforts by developing and prototyping new methods of evaluating and measuring operational and mission success. We implement and lead training and engagement efforts across various organizational components such as National Incident Response Teams, Product Security Teams, Security Operation Centers, and general incident management programs.
What you'll do
Interest in the development and execution of strategic and operational procedures for the cybersecurity community, and research that advances the state of the art and practice of cyber operations and a working across the following areas:
- Conduct and support analytical studies and investigations of risk, threat, and security data.
- Work independently or within a team with members of varying skill sets and levels.
- Increase your depth of understanding of enterprise technology security issues.
- Broaden your knowledge of commonly deployed computer network defense tools and processes to include leading vendor solutions and Open-Source platforms.
- Brief strategic and technical topics to senior management, technical and non- technical audiences, and foreign government officials.
- Increase your familiarity with current operational challenges and technical threats faced by network security and intelligence organizations.
- Gain additional experience with project planning and management standard methodologies.
- Understand cultural sensitivities to facilitate foreign engagements through stakeholder engagement and developing and managing relationships.
- Write clear and concise documentation that translates complicated technical processes to a target audience (A writing sample may be requested).
- Team deliverables include technical publications; industry and government conference presentations; course development and delivery; direct customer engagement; and prototype tools and techniques.
You are able too
- Travel to various locations to support the SEI's overall mission, to include international travel (25%).
- Conduct trainings and workshops on location or in a remote setting.
- Pass a background check and obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- Certifications of interest that are preferred include the CISSP, CEH, CISM, CompTIA, or similar.
Who you are
- You have a BS in Computer Science or related discipline with eight (8) years of experience; OR MS in the same fields with five (5) years of experience; OR PhD in the same fields with two (2) years of experience.
- You have experience in the Asian-Pacific and Pacific Island Nations region.
- You have familiarity with critical infrastructure and/or sectors.
- You have experience working within or in collaboration with a national Incident Response or Security Operations organization.
- You have demonstrated technical proficiency with contemporary computing hardware, software, and network technologies.
- You have experience with research and academic papers.
- You have familiarity with metrics and measurement and assessment concepts and practices.
- You have participated in broad public forums through activities such as standards, open-source development, or publication.
Why work here?
- Join a world-class organization that has significant impact critical to national security.
- Work with cutting edge technologies and experts to solve tough problems for the government and the nation.
- Get 8% monthly contribution for your retirement, without having to contribute yourself.
- Get tuition benefits to CMU and other institutions for you and your dependent children.
- Enjoy a healthy work/life balance with flexible work arrangements and paid parental and military leave.
- Get access to university resources including mindfulness programs, childcare and back-up care benefits.
- Enjoy annual professional development opportunities; attend conferences and training or obtain a certification and get reimbursed for membership in professional societies.
- Qualify for relocation assistance and so much more.
CMU's COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: As a condition of employment, Carnegie Mellon University requires all staff and faculty working in the United States to be fully vaccinated, including a booster when eligible, against COVID-19. Prior to commencement of employment, new hires in the United States must provide proof of vaccination or obtain an approved exemption. (Exemptions may be requested for medical reasons or for religious or strong moral or ethical conviction.) Staff and faculty must comply with all applicable COVID-19 mitigation requirements. Please see Minimum Requirements to Return to Campus for details regarding the university's current COVID-19 mitigation requirements.
Arlington, VA, Pittsburgh, PA, Remote
Staff - Regular
Full time/Part time
Please visit "Why Carnegie Mellon" to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
Statement of Assurance