Location: Portland, Oregon
- Job Type: This role is subject to a collective bargaining agreement with the Oregon Nurses Association (ONA).
- FTE: 0.9, Full Time
- Shift: Day Shift 0700-1930 Shift Length: 12 hour shift
- Weekend Obligation: Every other weekend
- Salary: Hourly rate based on ONA contract
- Location: Marquam Hill Campus
The Emergency Services Acute Care Unit (ACU) in the Emergency Department consists of beds located within the Adult Acute Emergency Department, Emergency Observation Departments or other overflow setting. The ACU staff work as part of an interdisciplinary care team to provide individualized family centered care for adult patients that are determined to need ongoing monitoring and care under the med-surg inpatient criteria. These patients are awaiting inpatient bed assignments, being cared for by the inpatient provider teams. The RN is responsible for assessing and providing direct patient care, delegating appropriate care to the ED Technician and/or Certified Nursing Assistant staff, and working collaboratively with the inpatient providers. The RN provides care consistent with evidence based practices. Nurses are responsible for participating in continuous improvements in our unit to increase the value of care we provide our patients. In the shared governance system, the RN is also responsible for helping grow the nursing profession and guiding the future direction of the unit.
Function/Duties of Position
Hiring Bonus and Relocation Package Available
OHSU cares for patients of varying acuity and intensity. A successful candidate will be able to practice independently and will engage in effective teamwork. Acute Care Unit (ACU) nurses understand the importance of their independent scope of practice and participate in the dependent scope of practice decision making with the provider team.
Common patient populations include:
- Cellulitus, long term antibiotics
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- COPD exacerbation
- Chest pain
- Cystic Fibrosis
- COVID or COVID rule out
The OHSU Clinical registered nurse (RN) provides compassionate, evidence-based, and efficient care to individuals, families, communities and patient populations. The Clinical RN's care delivery is consistent with the Oregon Nurse Practice Act, the ANA Scope and Standards of Practice, and the ANA Code of Ethics. The Clinical RN demonstrates the professional role obligations of scientist, leader, and knowledge transferor [Onsomble Model of the Professional Role(tm)]. Professional accountability enriches the Clinical RN's engagement as a leader in promoting an inter-professional culture of collaborative decision-making, innovation, life-long learning, and teamwork. The Clinical RN exemplifies the principles of a Culture of Safety by committing to a Just Culture, a Reporting Culture, a Learning Culture, and an Engaged Informed Culture.
- Associate or Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing from a program accredited by Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (CNEA)
- BSN preferred
- Associate Degree Nurses required to enroll in BSN program within 3 years of hire and complete within 5 years of hire.
- Current, unencumbered Oregon State Registered Nurse License
- BLS at time of hire and must be issued by the American Heart Association (AHA) or Military Training Network branch of AHA (upload documentation with online application)
- BLS must not expire during orientation or probation period, and must have the same expiration date (upload documentation with online application)
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodation
- 2-5 years' experience working in an adult acute care unit or Observation Unit.
- Electronic Health Record (E.H.R) documentation experience (i.e., Epic, etc.)
- Experience in unit-leadership assignments (i.e., charge roles, service team lead, etc.)
- Experience in Shared Governance
- Current OHSU employees: BSN preferred
*Bonus Disclaimer: current OHSU, Adventist and Hillsboro Medical Center employees are not eligible
All are welcome
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.